Dr. Sandro LaRocca and his team at New Jersey Neck & Back Institute offer comprehensive surgical treatment for a variety of back and spine problems. Our offices in Lawrenceville, Toms River and Mount Laurel use the latest techniques and technology to reduce pain and restore function and are committed to excellence in patient care. Learn more about some of the most common conditions we treat. If you have any questions, please get in touch with us today.
Overview of Spine Problems
Millions of people suffer from spine problems. Issues can occur anywhere along the spine and can be caused by injury, age and a host of other risk factors. Some of the most common conditions include:
- Degenerative Disc Disease: As soft spinal discs degenerate with age, symptoms may include chronic neck or back pain. It can also result in other spinal conditions such as herniated disc and spinal stenosis. There several different surgery options that can help.
- Herniated Disc: A ruptured spinal disc puts pressure on the spinal cord or nerves. This can result in neurological dysfunction including pain, numbness, and weakness. While physical therapy and medications can help manage pain, only surgery can correct the issue.
- Sciatica: Patients experience radiating pain ranging from mild to severe down the back of the leg. After diagnosis, a minimally-invasive laminotomy procedure can help alleviate symptoms.
- Scoliosis: A curvature of the spine can cause back pain and neurologic dysfunction. Surgery may be necessary to restore function and quality of life.
- Spondylolisthesis: This condition occurs when one of the vertebrae slides out of place, causing pain and neurologic dysfunction including numbness and weakness. A laminectomy and/or spinal fusion surgery can help.
- Stenosis – Cervical: When the uppermost part of the spinal canal narrows, it commonly results in pain, numbness and weakness in the neck and extremities. Surgical treatment is required to create more space for the spinal cord and stabilize the spine.
- Stenosis – Lumbar: When the spinal canal narrows in the lower back region, patients experience pain and weakness in their back and legs. This problem can be corrected with a decompressive procedure called a laminectomy.
- Spinal Tumors: Tumors located on or within the spinal column can cause pain and nerve compression resulting in muscle weakness, loss of sensation and difficulty walking. Surgery is part of the armamentarium in treating tumors and may be necessary to manage pain and restore neurological function.
If you’re suffering from a spine condition and require surgery, contact Dr. Sandro LaRocca at NJNBI. He’s helped people all throughout Central New Jersey take back their life and get the excellent care and support they deserve. Call 609-896-0020 or submit our online form to set up an appointment.